Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Giardia-- TO BE, or NOT TO BE! That's the question

If I had one of those cool counters on my blog it would say day 10 of Andrew having nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, no appetite (two bites of hotdog does not constitute a meal no matter how you look at it) and just "too tired" to even walk to the couch from bed. Thankfully I didn't have the foresight that this would last sooo long. According to the pediatrician's nurse, "this is all normal" (even for 10 days) and he possibly couldn't have the giardia like parasite that's visiting public pools here in Utah because "parasites don't cause diarrhea". WHATEVER!! So, after much discussion and persistance, she finally ordered to have his stool cultured. Andrew replied after hearing the discussion on the phone "I don't need another stool mom, I have one". =) I needed a little comic relief after that phone call. So... we left a little "package" at the lab (that was a story in itself) and now were anxiously waiting for the results that should come tomorrow! Giardia or parasites like that can be very hard to get over and can take months to years to get over (in rare cases) despite taking medication-- yikes. Or, you can just take the medications prescribed and it goes right away. Sometimes it really stinks being a nurse and knowing a little more than you want to. Wish us luck!

However, today since the DR visit, he has actually ventured out and smiled a time or two. And, since I like to take pictures of my kids and it's been a long time since I have seen his sweet smile I thought I would post a pic or two from today. The one of Ashlee is of her great smile too! She's been a trooper through all of this and so far hasn't gotten sick. (I forgot to mention that I too had the same thing for 8 days, better for 4 days now, 4 sick days of which Justin was out of town and Justin is on day 8 himself, still recovering. Maybe if the test is positive, we'll be leaving a little package at the lab too =( ).



7 comments:

Sarah said...

Rachel- that is the saddest story i've ever heard! I'm so sorry! Please call me if you need anything. I'm glad that at least Ashlee escaped the sickness! Good luck!

whitney holland. said...

Rachel good luck with the test results and taking care of your cute little sick family. I am so sorry that this has happened to you guys. You definitly will be in our prayers! Keep us posted on the outcome!

Suz said...

Rachel, so sorry about all the yucky sickness. It's definitely not one of the highlights of being a mom.

Onto better things, I don't know if you need this or not, but the size of my blog banner is 12x3 inches or 864 x 216 pixels. If you need help getting your banner on, let me know.

Take care!

Kysha said...

Poor little Andrew! Please know that I am thinking of you! It's so hard to have a sick child--especially when the sickness lasts so long. Hopefully, you can have some resolution soon! Just so you know, I've got YW's covered--don't do a thing until he's better.

Nicole said...

I am so sad to hear that Andrew has been so sick. I hope you figure everything out soon- and hopefully it isn't going to take him months or years to get over. Cute pages by the way and thanks for the tips about the blog.

Greg and Niki said...

Hi Rachel,
I am a friend of Whit Hollands.
I see that you must like digital scrapbooking.. :) I am CLULESS with that and would love to get started. What software do you use?
I would really like a Kit to just stick photo's in. In your oppinion is that okay? And what is the best website for downloads? :)
Thanks
niki!!!
chazens@qwest.net

Suz said...

Hey Rachel, I forgot to tell you that when you do your blog banner to set the dpi to 72. (If you set it any higher it will show up really big.)