Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St .Paddy's Day, apparently 2 days late!

So, as we were dressing in green this morning, getting ready to celebrate St. Paddy's day Andrew was asking some questions about the holiday and I realized that I knew very little about this day. So I did a little search on wikipedia and beyond the basics of honoring St. Patrick and the lucky 4 leaf clover I found out some interesting facts: (check out the link for more info.)

* This year it was officially celebrated on the 15th-- Oops!! I guess they change the date when it falls during Holy Week.

* Originally the color associated with St. Paddy's day was blue! As the holiday became more associated with Ireland they changed it to green or orange

*Getting pinched for not wearing green is an American tradition not done in Ireland.

* Though the four leaf clover may be lucky, the more important symbol for Irish is the 3 leaf clover, it represents the trinity.

*It's a feast day, making sure to include green foods. In Ireland the festivities last 5 days!

So, even though we missed the day, I think that I'm still going to make a little treat for FHE to celebrate. Here's a cute, but simple idea I found on kraftfoods

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Thanks for the 411 on St. Patrick's Day. I was such a loser at the elementary school today because I didn't wear green. Unfortunately, I don't have any clothes that currently fit me with that hue in it. :D So I used the generic, "My eyes are green" and got a lot of, "That doesn't count" in response. I think I sparked some sympathy with the little kids though because I survived the day without getting pinched. I love the picture of you three!

SarahBara said...

Rachel-I found your blog! And I love it, it is so darling. And I am also tagging you! I don't know if you have done a husband tag yet (if you have I'm sorry) but just go to my blog and copy and paste it to yours, then change the answers. Have fun!

Jenn J. said...

You guys all look so cute in your green! I love that picture. I had heard that this year the "true" way to celebrate St. Patricks Day was to celebrate it on the 15th, but my calendar said the 17th, and everyone else was doing it on the 17th... so, since I'm a follower, I decided to do it then too. :) Plus, I didn't know if the 15th thing was really even true. So thanks for clarifying, and letting me in on the secrets of Patty's Day. The parfaits look divine. You are such a cute mom.