Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween Extravaganza!

In my family I guess we're big into traditions, if we've done something once and we like it, it's an instant tradition (I guess I can't blame Ashlee for her obsessions with bedtime routines, wearing her swim suit EVERYDAY, having to have all 3 of her purses with her at nearly all times, etc-- these are all of her "traditions") So, with Halloween it's no different. Each year during Halloween week we have the cousin party that my mom goes ALL out for in decorating, crafts for the kids, fun "spooky" foods, homemade donuts.... the list goes on and on. It's amazing!

The punch was a real hit this year. She put small scoops of ice cream in cranberry juice with dry ice. The ice cream was suppose to be eye balls in blood!


Here are all of the cousins in their costumes


My Princess has returned! (No more beard!)


Here's Andrew-- giving his toughest look. He's such a tender-hearted sweety, I don't think he could ever scare a fly!

Then we have the 'pre-Halloween' dinner at my sisters. We always have Chili, breadsticks, apple cider and donuts for dessert. This year I braved it and made Chili for the 1st time.


This year we added a new yummy tradition, gourmet caramel apples.

Okay, so the kids' apples don't look so gourmet, but still yummy. I've made lots of combinations, but my favorite is a layer of caramel, then white chocolate on top of that with cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top of that. Sounds simple, but really good.

And of course-- trick-or-treating. Flying has been REALLY slow for Justin, but of course he had to work Halloween night. I wasn't very excited taking on trick-or-treating on my own (and the putting to bed my overly tired, sugar high children), but they did great. Ashlee was just in awe that everyone was just handing out cany (her dream come true. She asks for "cany" about 10 times a day.)


I've noticed the list of traditions are quickly growing as my kids get older. I personally think that Halloween is a bizarre holiday, but the kids absolutely love looking forward to these fun things, so I'm a fan.

7 comments:

Griffiths Ohana said...

How fun! I braved Halloween on my own too! Lots of fun! Thats why we never made it to your house! Koa was almost ran over twice just on Wellington drive in front of our cul de sac! Your kids look so cute!

Parkin Family said...

Yeah for halloween traditons! Good job being brave and making chili. I don't think I have ever done that.

Suz said...

Kudos for you for braving it on your own- I am sure it was quite exhausting- but fun to see your kids have fun too. We're so happy to be here to join in on some of these other traditions we've missed out on.

Eric and Amy said...

Adorable costumes! Your kiddos are entirely too cute...but that's okay since someday they will be married to my kids and then they'll make us some darn cute grandkids! :) Hannah will love to see Andrew's adorable muscles in that costume, and Ashlee makes a great princess. Bravo for tackling that feat solo. Gotta love being the wife of a pilot! :) What fun Halloween traditions!

Nicole said...

oh if only i were closer. It looks like Halloween was a lot of fun.

A said...

How fun it is at your house on Halloween. Love to see the pictures of cute kids. Hope all is good. You should be finding out soon what you are having. Let us know. AH

Kao said...

Wow! You guys go all out! How fun!!