Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Score


Day 1

Accidents: 4
Successes: 4
Poops in potty: 1

So, We're potty training around here today. After 2 accidents in a row and no success, I definitely was about ready to throw the towel in. Ashlee's only 2 1/2, but I was tired of her telling me that we had to change her diaper EVERY time she was wet! She seems to know how to go when I put her on the toilet and she has even told me a couple of times that she had to go, but then out of no where she will have an accident after she just went pee pee (excuse the lingo) 5-10 minutes ago. So, I'm calling for help! What's your best potty training advise. (We are doing the small treat after she successfully goes in the potty, but is it worth it to have a bigger incentive for no accidents for X amount of time? She seems young for that) Send any great tips my way!

2 comments:

Terry Family said...

Ok, now I feel really bad that I haven't started potty training Kaitlyn. I think I'm gonna go for it right after Christmas. As for tips, I need them too!

Eric and Amy said...

Bravo! I'm impressed. I've only potty trained one child, so I'm definitely no expert. However, it literally only took her one day (the WORST and LONGEST day of my life!). She was just a couple months shy of 3. What I did may only work for her. But it made my life easier.

Day 1: we basically were in the bathroom all day. Every 15 min. or so she got on the potty just to try. Sometimes she went, other times not. We had a chart where she got to put a sticker every time she went. She also got marshmallows (her fave). We used the phrase "put your pee pees in the potty because that's where they belong." It was exhausting to stay so positive and upbeat about the potty the whole day, when I was thoroughly exhausted and just wanted to throw in the towel. But I had to commit or I knew it would take longer.

The first month we were home bodies and Hannah never put on pants. Easy access for no accidents, but hard to do in winter. :) When we did go somewhere, she had to try and go potty before we left, but then we put on her "special panties" (really just her regular diaper) that she was supposed to keep dry. And she did. We used the "special panties" at night too. She just never had issues with accidents (we had couple at the beginning but not bad).

I really think that first day of the terrible commitment to the bathroom made a difference for her. Good luck! I feel for you!