Wednesday, June 11, 2008

It's been awhile!


DORY:
Hey, Mr. Grumpy Gills. When life gets you down, you know what you gotta do?
MARLIN:
I don't wanna know what you gotta do when life gets you down.
DORY:
[singing] Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming. What do we do?
We swim, swim.

It's been a little while since my last post..... I feel like I've been doing a lot of just "swimming" per se. How does life get so busy! I guess that I should be grateful that I'm keeping up.

Somewhere in the midst of being busy we planted a garden. I haven't really pinpointed why, but somehow gardening for me is very therapeutic. There is such anticipation of reaping what you have sown. It's very rewarding. We go out nearly everyday to watch the progress. Andrew loves it, although the only thing he may actually eat from it are a few peas (he does NOT like veggies) and strawberries. I had meant to post these pictures of the progress awhile ago, but since we seem to be just trying to keep up with life these days, they a little out-dated and we are now enjoying some of the fruits of our labors!

We've had a great year for spinach so far.


Our lettuce is growing like a weed. Unfortunately the mix we planted this year looks more like weeds (in a pretty way), and kind of tastes like them too. So, we'll be sticking with spinach salads I guess.

We have tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, zucchini, green beans and LOTS, AND LOTS OF STRAWBERRIES to look forward to. Mmmm! (Each of those little blossoms will be soon strawberries and this is only HALF of our strawberries.)

4 comments:

Suz said...

Wow- I had no idea that all those plants in your backyard were strawberry bushes! How fun. Hopefully one day you can teach me how to do that gardening thing.

Eric and Amy said...

Holy crapper! Man, I wish we were neighbors, just to reap what you grow or steal from you if there was a natural disaster ;). We finally planted a "crop" this year in the backyard (strawberries too), but yours is way more impressive. Way to go!

Kysha said...

Your garden looks great, Rachel. We finally got around to planting ours Monday--hope things grow! Love the strawberries--we have some--not as many as you, though. How do you keep the birds from eating them? Ours get perfectly ripe and the bird enjoy them.

SarahBara said...

Hmmmm, let us know when those strawberries come and we will bring the ice cream, and have delicious shakes!