Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Create your own fortune [cookie]

Around the Hogge home today seems to be the day of looking into the future. We've been revising our life insurrance plan, planning our next business venture, which I'm sure that we're going to make millions doing ;)(you'll have to wait for future posts if this ever materializes) and making fortune cookies! I thought that this was a fun idea, so I'm passing it along. The fortune cookie is for my newest beehive that we'll be wishing a happy birthday to and welcoming to young women's later today.

The fortune inside says, "You'll have many years of fun in young womens".

I got this great idea from a fellow yw leader (I added the chinese take-out box) and had fun attempting to create one. I'll have to admit, it's a little tricky and it even involved finding some tips and tricks online to help me out since my first tries were a disaster! If you attempt, you may want to check this site out for some tips. I'm sure that there are many different ways you could use this idea. So here are some pics and the recipe!


Fortune Cookies:

1/2 c flour

1/2 c sugar

1 tb cornstarch

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 c oil

2 lg egg whites

1 1/2 tsp water

1/2 tsp almond extract

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

*Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Sift dry ingredients. Add liquids, stir until smooth. Spread out 1/4c mix on parchment paper with the back of a spoon to make an 8'' circle (as thin as you can). Bake 12-14 minutes, until the edges very slightly start to brown. After taken out of oven and let cool for a few seconds. Peel off paper, place fortune paper in middle of circle, fold in half and bring the 2 egdes together to form cookie. Squish egdges together and hold in place for 30 seconds, until the cookie holds its form. Enjoy! (Makes four large fortune cookies!

9 comments:

Suz said...

That is such a cute idea- I especially like how you put it inside a take out box- so very cute. I'll have to think of some way to put this great idea to use!

Parkers said...

That looks awesome Rachel. What a cute idea. Maybe even for Valentines. Thanks.

Sarah said...

That is such a cute idea! The Young Women are so lucky to have you!

Justin Scott Hogge Jr. IV of CA said...

Ray, that fortune cookie is making me hungry. I'll see you soon.

Nicole said...

Very cute Rachel. I think it makes for an adorable V-day gift. I saw some pictures of Andrew's 4th birthday party on my Reader, but can't find them on your blog. Maybe you're editing them, but I can't believe that he is 4! He is such a sweetie. We have really loved being able to come see everyone more often. Only 1 month!

Stott Family 5 said...

That is a great Idea...you are the cutest YW leader ever! Thanks for posting the recipe, I might have to try that out sometime. How did they taste? They sure look yummy!

Rachel Hogge said...

Heidi, they actually are pretty sweet and taste like a cookie (crunchier of course). Let's just say the the kids aren't disapointed when one doesn't turn out and they get to eat it.

Parkin Family said...

Thanks for making the rest of us young women's leaders look bad! J/K
Just don't tell my Laurels!!!
That IS a very cute idea...I might have to use it for Valentines Day.

Kysha said...

Thanks for going through the pain of making them for each new Beehive! They are very cute and you're very talented. Your new camera ROCKS! Even the fortune cookie pics look beautiful!