Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My first "photo shoot"

With my new camera I thought I would give a little photo shoot a try (Try is definitely the key word). I combed my kids' hair, wiped off milk mustaches and here's what I got. (I've taken a few classes since this day and I can definitely see that I have lots of learning and practicing to do!) I tried out a few classic photography tips. See what you think.
Tip #1: Get closer!!




Tip #2: Use natural sunlight! (Turn off the flash and get near a window or door). I think that these pictures are a little over-exposed however (too much light).





Tips #3- Get out of "Auto" mode and at minimum use program modes (ie landscape, portrait), then move on to adjusting aperture, ISO, shutterspead etc. In this pic I used the portrait mode. See how it blurred out the background (Ashlee).



Tip #4____________. Hmm not sure how to solve this problem yet. Any suggestions?

If any one is interested here is a link to an awesome free online 12 week photography course. The lessons are short and sweet. They are on week 4, but you can go back and download the previous weeks lessons.

11 comments:

Suz said...

Great pics ray! I am glad you are learning all this stuff- then someday you can teach me :)

Kysha said...

I am impressed! These are really good--I even like the one of Ashley crying--very cute!

Nicole said...

Thanks for the thoughts you posted on our blog. Your pictures are very cute. It's amazing how just a few "tips" can go along way; either that or you are just naturally great at it. Even the one of Ashley crying is priceless. Way to go!

Jessica said...

Beautiful! I enjoy the pics--there are 2 things that make a good photographer--I think anyone can take classes and understand the steps it takes, but not everyone has that natural eye it takes to be able to capture a feeling as well--you have that ability! I look forward to seeing more pics, and thanks for the tips for us amatures :)

Stott Family 5 said...

Beautiful pictures Rachel, by this summer you will be ready to take my family pic's right??? Really they are great, thanks for the tips..I think I need a new camera!

Cathy Duffy said...

how cute! you guys have cute kids. my husband just got a new camera and he's now into taking pictures too. so, thanks for the link!

Cathy Duffy said...

how cute! you guys have cute kids. my husband just got a new camera and he's now into taking pictures too. so, thanks for the link!

Jenn J. said...

Thanks, Rachel! We just got a new camera and I'm totally going to check out that website so I can figure out how to use it! :) I love your pictures. Your kids are adorable as usual.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the link! I love the pictures. You are already looking like a pro! I got a camera like that for my birthday last year-but I still use the auto feature mostly!

Kao said...

Great photos! Your kids are so cute. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. Can't wait to catch up!

the child family said...

Those look great! I, too, am a fan of the close up shots. They usually turn out so cute. The portrait mode looks cool as well.
How fun to be picking up a new hobby!